This is the English part of this website. To make sure you upload your entry to the right country, choose your country from the list below.
Belgium | Germany | The Netherlands | South Africa
Walker Books is looking for outstanding up-and-coming illustrators. Are you one of them? Send us samples of your work and earn international fame!
The submission deadline for 2018 has expired.
Next year the Picture this! Competition will take place again.
The jury expects to announce the winners of 2018 on 1 June 2018.
||Are you one of the inspiring, unique picture book artists we are looking for? If so, please send us three of your most unique illustrations that together tell a story.
Upload your entry, with accompanying text, before May 15st 2018 on picturethis-illustrationcompetition.com. If you pass the first (digital) selection, you will be asked to send us hard copies of your work.
- The story might already exist or be one of your own. Include the text that goes with each illustration and give a short synopsis (not more than 250 words of the whole story). Send it as a Word document.
- The illustrations should not have been published before.
- Any technique or medium could be used.
- You may enter only if you have not published an entire picture book with a trade publisher before. You are, however, allowed to enter if you have published educational books or other forms and genres before (e.g. in a poetry anthology, adult fiction, book covers, etcetera).
- Illustrators from countries other than the United Kingdom, South Africa, Germany and the Netherlands and Belgium are also allowed to enter for the competition by uploading to any of the organising countries. For the sake of easy communication for all jury members, your text has to be in English.
A professional jury will select the three best entries in the Netherlands, Belgium, South Africa, Germany and the United Kingdom. The results will be announced on picturethis-illustrationcompetition.com in June 2018. Winners will be informed by email.
The works of the twelve winning artists will be part of a travelling exhibition, which will be shown in the participating countries. The final selection will be published in an international catalogue and presented to several leading picture book publishing houses at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair 2019, thus giving the artists an excellent opportunity to find commissions.
Picture this! is an initiative of Lemniscaat Publishers (NL) and the International Centre for the Picture Book in Society (GB). The competition is supported by Protea (ZA), Walker Books (GB), the Burg Wissem Bilderbuch Museum (DE), Lemniscaat Publishers (NL) and the International Centre for the Picture Book in Society (GB).